The Foundation favours organizations and projects that make an innovative and sustainable contribution to the development of individuals and communities, in accordance with our philanthropic intentions and our sector of intervention.
Also in the section
Under the Income Tax Act, the Foundation can only make donations to charities registered with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
It should be noted that a non-profit organization is not necessarily a charity.
Every application is evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Compatibility of the organization or the project with the Foundation’s donation policy
- Sound financial management of the organization
- Scope of the project and the mission
Several organizations have questions about the factors more specifically addressed by the Donations Committee, so that they can better present their actions and their impacts.
Here they are:
- The organization’s roots in the community (collaborations, partnerships, networks)
- Impact on the autonomy of individuals/organizations/communities
- Governance (composition of the board, team in place, financial health, revenue diversification)
- Innovation and creativity (differentiating factors, positioning in the community)
- Outreach (of the project and the organization)
- Dynamism, posture and resilience (capacity for renewal, adaptability, attitude regarding challenges)
- Anticipated impacts (scope, desired changes)
- Quality of the application (identification of the need, clarity of the presentation, pragmatism)
For more information on our philanthropic intentions, the fields of action and the types of support, please see the Philanthropic partnerships section.
In principle, the following applications will not be considered:
- Activity expressly intended for an individual
- Christmas-related activities or event
- Library, museum, art gallery, historical society, cultural centre
- Fundraising campaign to which the Foundation has already contributed
- Amateur and elite sports competitions
- Conference, seminar, congress, festival
- Applications submitted by an organization supported by an entity of Centraide/United Way, which is supported by the Foundation (Greater Montréal, Laurentides, Estrie, KRTB-Côte-du-Sud, Kingston, Greater Toronto, Thunder Bay)
- Primary, secondary and college-level schools
- Daycare, toy lending library
- Advocacy or partisan group
- Religious movement
- Audio and video production
- Project submitted by a university faculty without having received the approval or recommendation of the institution’s development office
- Publishing and translation
The J. Armand Bombardier Scholarship Program, the Yvonne L. Bombardier Visual Arts Scholarship Program and the grants for Women Entrepreneurs have their own eligibility criteria.
What is a charity?
A charity is an organization registered with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) , which has a registration number allowing it to issue donation receipts for income tax purposes.
A non-profit organization is not necessarily a charity.
Is our organization eligible to apply for a donation?
Under the Income Tax Act, the Foundation may only make donations to charities registered with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) .
Can an application be filed during the CRA approval process?
Before you can apply for a donation, your organization must be duly registered with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
Are projects submitted by individuals eligible to receive donations?
No. The Foundation only supports organizations registered with the Canada Revenue Agency.